Nigeria 0-2 DR Congo: 6 things we learn from the match
1. The pitch did not help matters, the NFF could have settled for a better pitch afterall we are playing in Belgium.
2. Some of the new players need to hit the gym or man up! Leon Balogun struggled to contain Bolasie, though the big Crystal Palace winger is a problem to any wing back.
3. From my living room I could tell that the morale is low in camp maybe due to the whole Enyeama drama, don't ask me how I figured!? I am bad like that.
4. The players need to start taking responsibility, a lot of times when they get into good positions they pass or square play rather than shoot. No one wants to take the risk.
5. Sunday Oliseh is similar to Stephen Keshi. Wondering why I said so? We played more like 4-2-3-1 than the 4-3-3 formation as shown in the graphics released by NFF before the match. Also, he moved Mikel to the number 10 position (Just like Keshi) in the second half when he brought Obiorah on for the struggling Ighalo.
6. Rabiu Ibrahim is still in the shadow of Jay Jay Okocha, the Slovakian based player struggled to find any rhythm throughout the match. Not a Super Eagles player for now, Rabiu you need to improve your game play and work harder!
7. Alex Iwobi is a fine player! His run and energy shone through when he came on, he made the keeper save from his shot late in the match despite shooting with his wrong foot and he almost got into a fight while he was trying to rush the DRC players from wasting the time, that's the spirit boy!
Conclusion, we held the ball and created some good chances but players lacked the instinct to make the right decisions. They need to start shooting rather than try to work their way into the opposition's goal.
The second half was better from the first as the Eagles showed some urgency.
Mikel was the best player tonight, though a lot of Nigerians will not like that.. Lol