Facts about Ryan Giggs, who turns 40. Happy Birthday Ryan Giggs
To celebrate Ryan Giggs turning 40 today here are some little-known facts regarding the Manchester United midfielder who, with 626 appearances to his name, has played the most matches by a player in the history of the Barclays Premier League.
The winner of the Best Player of the 20 Seasons Award is the most decorated player in the English game, having won 13 Barclays Premier League titles among myriad other honours.
Happy Birthday, Mr Giggs.
- Ryan Giggs has assisted 163 Barclays Premier League goals, more than any other player.
- The team Giggs has played most often in the Barclays Premier League and not scored against is Leicester City (12 fixtures).
- Giggs has only scored two goals in a combined 65 Barclays Premier League appearances against Manchester City and Arsenal.
- The only teams Giggs has not tasted victory against in the Barclays Premier League are Cardiff City and Burnley.
- Giggs has played Liverpool 38 times in the Barclays Premier League, more than any other team and equivalent to an entire season.
- Giggs has scored 10 Barclays Premier League goals against Tottenham Hotspur, more than against any other side.
- Two of Giggs' Barclays Premier League goals against Spurs came from the penalty spot in the same game (April 2010). These are the only penalties Giggs has scored in the competition.
- Giggs' best run of scoring in consecutive Barclays Premier League games is three in April 2003 and again in December 2004-January 2005.
- Giggs holds the record for the most Barclays Premier League braces without ever scoring a hat-trick (11 – one more than Craig Bellamy, Niall Quinn and John Hartson).
- Giggs is looking to become the second player in his 40s to score a Barclays Premier League goal (after Teddy Sheringham). [Crystal Palace's Kevin Phillips could also achieve this]
- Excluding 2013-14, Giggs has played at least 20 matches in every single Premier League season.
- Despite making 108 substitute appearances, the fourth highest total in Barclays Premier League history, Giggs has only ever scored three times as a sub.
- 20% of Giggs' total Barclays Premier League goals (22 of 109) came in his first two seasons in the competition (9 in 1992-93 and 13 in 1993-94).