With Nemanja Matic reportedly on his way to Old Trafford, the FC crew debate Manchester United’s title chances.
Monday’s latest stories from the world of football in ESPN FC’s What’s Trending…
MAN UNITED: Manchester United are on the verge of completing a deal for Chelsea midfielder Nemanja Matic, after agreeing a fee in the region of £40 million, sources have told ESPN FC.
– Jose Mourinho’s trusted lieutenant Matic can free Paul Pogba, Alex Shaw writes.
– Mourinho has made a not-so-subtle dig at Chelsea boss Antonio Conte while responding to questions over the futures of Matic and Marouane Fellaini.
– Zlatan Ibrahimovic would prefer to stay in Europe this season, LA Galaxy president Chris Klein says, though the MLS club still have an interest in signing him in the future.
PSG: Paris Saint-Germain are so confident that they have convinced Barcelona superstar Neymar to join them for a world-record €222 million transfer fee that they have already started to consider how to unveil him as their latest signing, a source has told ESPN FC.
– Paris Saint-Germain’s Dani Alves has urged Neymar to be be brave as he considers a move from Barcelona.
-Paris Saint-Germain rallied from a goal down in Tangier, Morocco, to beat Monaco 2-1 in the French Super Cup, with new arrival Dani Alves providing a goal and an assist in his first competitive match with the club.
ARSENAL: Arsene Wenger has dismissed concerns about having a handful of star players with only one year left on their contracts, calling it “an ideal situation” for the club.
– Wenger hailed “an encouraging performance” from new signing Alexandre Lacazette in Sunday’s 2-1 loss to Sevilla, but warned it could take a couple of months for the striker to fully settle in at the club.
BARCELONA: Ivan Rakitic has said referee Jair Marrufo “insulted me quite strongly” during the weekend’s 3-2 Clasico win over Real Madrid in Miami.
– The worlds of golf and football collided on Saturday as Tiger Woods hung out in the Barcelona dressing room following the Miami Clasico.
LIVERPOOL: Adam Lallana has said Daniel Sturridge being fully fit next season would be like having “two new signings,” predicting that the Liverpool striker would have “massive” campaign.
– Jurgen Klopp said he is “really happy” with his options in the current Liverpool squad after a trio of signings, but admits that injuries are yet to affect his team selection.
– German second-division club Darmstadt have announced the signing of Seattle Sounders left-sided player Joevin Jones.
Follow @ESPNFC on Twitter to keep up with the latest football updates.