The Stoke Sentinel are reporting that Stoke’s chief executive, Tony Scholes, has said he remains optimistic of seeing Bruno Martins Indi in a Stoke shirt again next season.
The 25-year-old was at the on loan at the bet365 Stadium from Portuguese outfit F.C. Porto for the whole of last season, but Stoke now want a permanent deal.
The Netherlands international made 35 appearances in the Premier League last season for Mark Hughes’ side, scoring one goal.
However, the situation with Martins Indi may be particularly worrying for Stoke fans, as no permanent deal was reached before the end of the season.
Martins Indi, one of Stoke’s star performers last season alongside Ryan Shawcross, now admits that as things stand he will return to Porto for pre-season training.
A deal to get Martins Indi back to the Potters next season is further complicated by the fact that previous Porto manager, Nuno Espirito Santo, was sacked by the Portuguese giants at the end of last season.
— The Bear Pit TV (@TheBearPitTV) June 19, 2017
Espirito Santo was the one that sanctioned Martins Indi’s loan to Stoke last season and it is unknown whether new boss, Sergio Conceicao, will be as willing to let the player leave this summer, after such a successful campaign in England.
Stoke chairman Tony Scholes has admitted that any deal may be complicated by the many new parties involved in the transfer dealings:
“Once you start introducing other parties into it, you have to take into account those other parties’ position as well,” said Scholes.
Martins Indi played in every league and cup game since joining the Potters in August last year, forming a solid defensive partnership with Ryan Shawcross, and Scholes is keen to secure the Dutchman’s services again for next season:
“So it’s not just us, Bruno and Bruno’s agent, there’s the other club as well. Things have to fall into place and everything has to fall into place before a deal is done,” claimed Scholes.
“But absolutely hopeful. Bruno has been a good player for us, but we will have to see.